Carrying- out period 2000-2006
LEADER +, after LEADER I and LEADER II, represents the third edition of the Communitarian Initiative named LEADER. This new edition of LEADER, like the previous ones, is aimed at experimenting original, integrated and sustainable solutions for the development problems of rural areas, which can be considered as an example for the future policies of the European Union. LEADER + promotes the implementation of development strategies designed around one or more priority themes, which are able to make the rural areas more dynamic and to create new employment opportunities, as well as to have long lasting effects. The objective is to concur creating endogenous and sustainable development strategies for each rural area, based on history, environment and competitive factors which are specific for every area.
Hence, the initiative aims to:
- favour original and high-quality development strategies, designed around one or more priority themes;
- support the implementation of actions which are integrated and/or complementary with the development aims of structural programmes;
- boost the openness of rural areas to the European and Extra- European Countries;
- promote the spread of experience, knowledge and know-how;
- experience solutions for the development problems of rural areas, which can be considered as an example for the future policies of the European Union.